Login Monday, January 18, 2021
  Search  
Sport Strength Training Methodology   Minimize

New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Pre-contest training for a power lifter
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 9/19/2007 5:45 AM
  antmadison
2 posts
No Ranking

Pre-contest training for a power lifter 
Modified By 1511146@aruba.it  on 9/19/2007 9:27:00 AM)
 I am a world clas power lifter in the bench press and deadlift and have consistently peaked too early for competitions even though I have used sub maximal loads within four to six weeks of competitions. My ancillary lifts have also stayed at a high volume in the sub maximal range right up to the competition time.
My question is, how far from a competition should I reduce my ancillary training and begin to introduce maximal lifts in the bench press and deadlift? Also, how many days prior to a competition should I cease maximal lifts?  Should I also include explosive movements when training with maximal loads?

Ronald Madison, United States [Administrator add]

New Post 9/30/2007 3:13 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Re: Pre-contest training for a power lifter 

Dear Ronald Madison,

I understand very well your problem, but I cannot answer exactly to your question without the possibility to see you during your training process, because all depend by the reactions of your organism to the volume and the intensity of preceding work loads. This reactions are very different from one athlete to another and I can give you only some general advices.

If you  have consistently peaked too early for competitions this could happen for different reasons:

-          the total volume of the sub maximal range ancillary lifts training was not enough: try to increase it, but don’t use it in high volume during the maximal lifts training stage;

-          you reduced your ancillary training and begin to introduce maximal lifts in the bench press and deadlift  too early: try to do it a little bit later than 4 - 6 weeks;

Regards the use of explosive exercises during the training with maximal loads, I think that it’s possible, but you should be very careful to not increase too much the total work loads volume.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 11/19/2007 3:34 AM
  antmadison
2 posts
No Ranking

Would you be so kind as to reccomend an assortment of  basic ancillary movements that you feel would be most benificial to the bench press, and whether they are most useful or should be avoided during either the maximal or sub-maximal periods.  I know this is difficult when you are not familiar with the athelete, however some general guidelines would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron Madison / Michigan

New Post 11/30/2007 4:37 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Ron Madison,

your question regard a very specific issue of Powerlifting.

I can only give you the advice to contact my friend Dr. Squat, he is the most qualified person for these specific issues of Powerlifting and, also, he knows very well my methodological ideas.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Pre-contest training for a power lifter