Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 4/16/2008 6:06 AM
  Xavier
1 posts
No Ranking

Plyometrics Cycle 
Dear Dr. Verkhoshansky,

I am very glad you share your knowledge and help athletes to answer their questions.

I have been doing strength training and jumping exercises(with/without weights) for the last 6 months. My max (1rm) parrallel squat is around 300 lbs and 350 lbs for the deadlift. My vertical jump is around 27 inches. I weigh 155 lbs and measure 170 cm (5'7) and my goal is to have the highest vertical jump it is possible for me to have. I think I am enough strong and I want to begin some plyometric work. I need your help to answer some of my biggest questions to begin my plyo cycle.

- I want to do depth jumps with rebounds since I think they are the best but can I do more than that in a session...? Example : Squats and others jumping exercises ?
- How much of strength work do I need to maintain my strength ?
- How much time (4 5 6 weeks ?) should I do plyometrics ?
- What is the perfect height to begin depths jumps with rebounds ?

Thank a lot,

Xavier Sanchez-Korichi,
Canada

New Post 4/21/2008 5:23 PM
  Ares
13 posts
10th Level Poster

Re: Plyometrics Cycle 

Dear professor I've read in some books that jumping between hurdles with parallel legs is better than depth jump in terms of explosive strenght and less contact time with the ground.

Is it true? Or is always better depth jump from about 75 cm.?

Thanks a lot.

Sergio Gabba. Italy

New Post 4/23/2008 12:01 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Xavier Sanchez-Korichi,

Before I answer to your question, I have to say you that also if you are enough strong, it’s better if  you introduce Depth jumps in the training after the Special Strength Preparation period (see my answer to Sergio Gabba in the thread “Training for the high jump” and to Jason Dwight in the thread “Making things clear about shock training).

1.       I want to do depth jumps with rebounds since I think they are the best but can I do more than that in a session...? Example : Squats and others jumping exercises ?

It’s better if you perform only Depth Jumps in the single training session (see my answers to Marco Pignone in the threadEffectiveness of Combining Strength or Speed-Strength with Depth Jumps in Same Session”).

2.       How much of strength work do I need to maintain my strength ?

I have difficulties to answer this question because all depend on: your specific adaptation capacity, the volume of strength loads that you used before and the type of training program (concentrated or not).

3.   How much time (4 5 6 weeks ?) should I do plyometrics ?

If for you plyometric means “Shock Method”, it’s better to start from 2 training sessions per week,  performing  not more than 4 series of 10 Depth Jumps in each training sessions (the number of series must be increased gradually from 1 to 4). The time of use the Depth Jumps ends when you finish to perform 300 - 350 Depth Jumps .

4. What is the perfect height to begin depths jumps with rebounds

The perfect drop height is 0.75 m. But you must reach this height gradually increasing it starting from 0.45 m (see my  last answer to Demetrio Frattarelli in the thread “Making things clear about shock training”).

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 4/23/2008 12:02 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Sergio Gabba,

I don’t agree with the opinion expressed in those books.

To increase the push up explosive strength and reactive capacity the most effective training mean is the Depth jump.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Plyometrics Cycle