New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  400m training
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 5/15/2008 4:27 PM
  Linas
11 posts
10th Level Poster

400m training 
Modified By Prof. Verkhoshansky  on 5/26/2008 5:36:01 PM)

Hello Professor

I read many of your articles and its great that we have such a possibility. I am a 400m runner with an average result of 47.95 and I am going to run about 47.50 if my body allows. However now Im 25 and being teenager I was trained as a middle distance runner mostly for 800m. Later my body composition changed and I was too heavy for such distances now I weigth 81kg and my heigh is 1.88m. I was so upset with my performance especially in 400m with PB of 52.16. At the age of 20m I started training on my own just for 400m because I wanted to know can I run faster and it looks that its possible. What mostly limits my perfomance is my max speed because 200m PB is 22.40. If I ran 22.0 then I could expect about 47.0 with the same speed endurance. Mostly I am following Clyde Hart training philosophy "train slow to run faster". Its about interval training better more volume with slower pace and shorter recoveries. Then its less chances to be injury prone and not so much CNS fatigue. But what about speed, Hart says it comes more from strength training and some speed drills. He doesnt mix intervals and speed, I mean no fast intervals just some before peaking and major competitions. How its better to incorporate speed training in a weekly cycle when I do 3 interval session a week if to start from monday with interval session with a sunday rest? Usually when intervals become faster then legs become heavier and its hard to incorporate speed sessions in a weekly cycle

If not to talk about acceleration in sprinting just about max speed improvement what better strength exercises and jumps would be to do in block A and block B? As I understand depth jump its better to do when other training protocols doesnt help anymore and after sufficient SSP.  I undestand these jumps are more for acceleration phase during sprinting and maybe its nothing to do with max speed just maybe at least you dont do any max sprinting. Charlie Francis says he doesnt see point doing depth jumps for sprinters and better advocates short one leg hops. Is he right at some point?

Thanks

Linas Bruzas  Lithuania

New Post 5/26/2008 6:36 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Re: 400m training 

Dear Linas Bruzas,

your questions regards many important issues (and it’s my favourite issues) that for their importance should be discussed in more deep way. Nevertheless I will try to answer you in synthetic way.

First of all, the training system of 400 m runners is quite complicate and it’s not good way that you are “training on my own” without a coach. It will be pleasure for me to suggest you a good Track&Field coach that lives in Vilnus, but I don’t know any coach in Vilnus who works with 400 m runners.

The only solution that I can suggest you is to became an expert in this matter through the reading of  specific literature, but pay attention with the practical interpretation of the ideas of other persons. For example, “run slow to run faster” could be a good idea, but there could be different interpretations of what does mean “run slow”. I prefer to say “ran slow before to ran faster”. It’s one of the main principles of my Block Training System in T&F running. We are ending my new article “The block training system in endurance running” in which I describe this idea in detail.

Now, about  training means. I prefer to not express a unilateral opinion about single training mean, because all depend on the whole system in which this training mean is used.

You asked me about the usefulness of Depth jumps for speed runners. I agree with Charlie Francis  that this training mean is more useful for jumpers, but some volume of this means could be used also by runner if his strides pushes are not enough explosive.

How its better to incorporate the speed training in a weekly cycle when I do 3 interval session a week if to start from monday with interval session with a sunday rest?

This is really the question for your coach, because there could be different solutions: all depend on your level of aerobic capacity, legs strength, the kind of speed exercises and the kind of interval session that you use. But I know that Italian runners don’t use the glycolytic interval training more that one time per week.

Now about training means finalised to the maximal speed increasing. This exercises will be  described in my article “The block training system in endurance running” together with the overload exercises that must be used before in the precedent training stage:

1.       Long Build Ups, are 100-120m runs performed with a smooth increase in speed up to a point where it is kept constant by inertia while holding technical form.

2.       Uphill running with an accentuated push and an active forward swinging movement of the other leg.(it could be also Uphill Bounding run and Uphill Bouncy run)

3.       Fast 50 meter Bounding runs (in this exercise, I don’t suggest to put a barbell on a shoulders)

4.       Short accelerations and block starts.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 5/29/2008 9:27 AM
  Linas
11 posts
10th Level Poster

Sorry when I wrote a text 2 times and update then I was asked to login again and my text was deleted.

New Post 5/29/2008 9:58 AM
  Linas
11 posts
10th Level Poster

Thanks for your reply professor. I still didnt tell you all the story about me. Im working as athletics coach for almost 3 years in Klaipeda city with my previous coach, but he trains middle and long distance runners that is why Im training on my own. Thaks that you could suggest a coach in Vilnius I think you know Gadovicius or A. Vilkas just to name a few? I finished academy of sport education in Kaunas city and moved in my native town Klaipeda. My coach and team partner has great experience with distance runners so he can advice me with general concepts. Im folowing Hart training philosiphy because I still havent found better system. And I think there is no best system, just need to learn what works best for each individual athlete, what are you goals and what athlete to accomplish. My training philisophy for 400m event is not necessary to run fast intervals during intensive preparation. Athletes usually do for example 200m in 23-24sec about 5 times with long rests. Looking at energy systems it can be achieved with 6-7 times in about 26-27sec but short rests 1.30. Such training doesnt imrove max speed at all, just glyclolitic systems, but speed work can be done in the next session with low volume. Athlete doing fast intervals becomes faster at some point but human body is limited at improving speed and doing 200m 5 times totall distance is 1 km. Max speed can be improved with volume no more then 300-400m totall distance doing short accelerations with sufficient rest intervals. After fast intervals fast twich fibres are tired so no place for pure speed improvement in a weekly cycle. However doing intervals at slower phase energetically athlete gets not worse resultes but saves his fast twich fibres for other separate speed session as well (not speed endurance). So there are two ways. Which is better in you opinion? If you have time you can read article about Clyde Harts training system for his 400m runners http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/TRACK/2005/c_hart.pdf

Linas Bruzas Lithuania

New Post 5/29/2008 10:12 AM
  Linas
11 posts
10th Level Poster

This article didnt cliped, just it can be easily found if you write in google - "train slower to race faster".

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  400m training