Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 11/21/2009 11:51 AM
  leopally
1 posts
No Ranking

about Supertraining 
Dear Professor,

I'm reading the Supertraining sixth edition and I've found a not so clear explanation of "strength deficit" concept hence I'd like understand by you if it is only a print mistake.

I'm referring at the bottom of page 9 where is written: "Thus, in a jumping or pulling activity, an approximate measure of strength deficit may be made by comparing the vertical jump achieved from a static start with knees flexed with a vertical jump preceded by a sudden dip. if there is a small difference between the two jumps, this suggests that training focuses more on nervous stimulation via the use of shock and ballistic methods such us plyometrics. If the deficit is large, then strength and hypertrophy training with 5RM to 8RM (8 repetition maximum) loads using methods such as CAT (Compensatory Activation Training) is more suitable."

Hence this concept is described yet later with this phrase: "In general, if the strength deficit is large for a given muscle group, an increase in speed-strength may be produced by maximal or near-maximal neuromuscular stimulation (e.g. via weightlifting or plyometric methods). If the strength deficit is small, hypertrophy must be induced by sub maximal loading methods as commonly used in bodybuilding, followed by maximal efforts against heavy loads".

It seem to me that the meaning of the first bracketed phrase is in contrast to the meaning of the second bracketed phrase, could you courteously explain me better how to interpret the "jumping method" results and which training method should be used?

Thank you.

Leonardo Zoppellaro
Venezia (Italy)

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  about Supertraining