Login Monday, January 18, 2021
  Search  
Sport Strength Training Methodology   Minimize

New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  making things clear about shock training
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 11/3/2007 7:19 PM
  dallas
9 posts
No Ranking

making things clear about shock training 

hello Dr. Verkhoshansky

i have used your shock training a lot  of times. it sure gave me rapid vertical jump and power gains. and we all know that this powerful tool cannot be used for a long time because the effects will diminish soon. i have been aware of that. but now things are different for me. i havent been doing any shock training for 6-8 months and i simply perform very bad in them. plus i am not gaining as quick as i used to gain.  the question is, how can we perform shock training mostly throughout the year. i am in off-season and i will be for a long time so time is not a issue.   can i use altitude landings after depth jumps or it wont be helpful a lot ???(i have used it in the past)

there are some coaches suggesting low intensity plyometrics between shock phases but whenever i go to low intensity plyometric phase, i lose my shock abilities. what are your suggestions ???

thanks a lot and i want you to know that you are a living legend.

Jason Dwight 

New Post 11/7/2007 1:30 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Re: making things clear about shock training 

Dear Jason Dwight ,

Shock method is a very powerful training mean that should not be used constantly, this is a cherry that could be putted on a tort  at the end of its preparation.

It’s the most intensive training exercise in the training means system finalized to the explosive strength improvement (for the explanation of what is the training means system, see my answer to Eros Zagaglia  in Speed Training for American Football).

I suggest to perform not more than 389 - 400 Shock Method Depth Jumps (4 series of 10 Depth Jumps three times a week) at the end of the preparation period, after the maximal strength stage.

The use of Shock method, as no other training means, need to be” periodizated”. 

The “low intensity plyometrics between shock phases” is not a good solution: the execution of  Depth jump with not maximal effort could destroy  the execution technique of this exercise. It’s better to use another exercises: the long bounces or the serial jumps.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 11/8/2007 8:03 PM
  dallas
9 posts
No Ranking

Thank you really much Dr.Verkhoshansky.

i have finished 3-weeks of depth jump training. since i havent done them for a long time, i have seen that i lost my abilities a lot. although i saw noticeable increases, i wasnt satisfied a lot this time.

also i have never done more than 5 jumps per set. also i have read that soviets used 2-3 min rest even between reps.  this time i i did 3 jumps at most. otherwise it was impossible for me to do them freshly.  can you explain this a little bit please?? also i have realized that i had some hard time with eccentric phase of the jump. i wish i have done altitute landings instead of this first.  is there any specific training besides shock training that can improve your depth jump height?

also i have seen a trainer who uses your inventions in a really strange way. he recommends depth jumps followed by single leg depth jumps. he gradually increases the total reps and decreases the time and he calls it power output training. he claims that power is the most essential thing for sports . he never stops rotating between two shock exercises. how can they do this? he says that because the load on your body is much greater than your bodyweight on the jumps, it is the best way to train power with this exercise  (of course i didnt use this way--never)

Thanks a lot

sincerely

Jason Dwight

New Post 11/15/2007 12:53 AM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Jason Dwight,

If you cannot use more than 5 Depth Jumps in one set and you have “some hard time with eccentric phase of the jump” it means that you are not ready to Shock method use. Don’t use it, prepare better your legs through bounces and serial jumps (see my answer to your previous question) and increase your explosive strength trough overload jumps.

You should start from 2-3 series of 10–15 consecutive half squat jumps with barbell (20 – 25 kg). After, these jumps should be substituted by 2-3 series of 6– 8 consecutive jumps with Russian Kettlebell (16 kg at the beginning and after 32 kg). After, the Russian Kettlebell jumps should be substituted by another type of barbell jumps with 40-60% overload: 4-6 consecutive single half squat jumps executed with maximal effort and with muscle relaxation between each jumps (you should put the barbell on high supports, shake the relaxed legs and immediately put the barbell on the shoulders again to execute the sequent jump).

Only after this, you could start to use Depth Jump.

Regarding the Shock Method.

1.       It’s not necessary to have 2-3 min rest between each jumps, it could be only 1-2 minutes of active rest with arms and legs shaking (“skeleton dancing”).

2.       The one leg Depth Jump that you described is a very hard specific exercise for high level “professional” triple jumper who has “iron legs”. If this exercises is used by an athlete of a lower level, he will be “broken” very soon.

It’s true that “power is the most essential thing for sports”, but the problem of power output increasing could not be solved using only one training mean, also if it’s the most effective.

Each training mean has a training potential (the possibility to obtain a training effect), but the training effect depends on the preparedness level of athlete and on the duration of the use of this mean. In the “training potential hierarchy” of explosive strength training means, the Depth Jump is the most powerful, but the athlete should be get ready to obtain its training effect and, very important, he should not use this exercise for long time.

The training potential of each training mean decreases in relation with the duration of its use: the “new” exercises (or the exercise that was not used for a long time) could be more effective for the athlete than the “old” exercise. This means that at the beginning of the training process (at the beginning of the athlete career) or at the beginning of preparation cycle it’s possible to obtain an increasing of the trained capacity (explosive strength, maximal strength, etcc..) through the less powerful exercise. For this reason the athletes should start from the less powerful training means and, when their training potential has been fully exploited, he should go through the next level training mean.

If the athlete starts from the most powerful training mean, he looses the possibility to obtain in future the increasing of trained capacity. What happened in this case of Depth Jump?

If Depth jump has been used for long time as the only one training mean finalized to increase the explosive strength, the athlete perceives that his jump height doesn’t increase like at the beginning. He starts to search how to increase more the training effect (for example, he “gradually increases the total reps and decreases the time” or “never stops rotating between two shock exercises” or he tries to “violent” his organism in another way ) but he will never obtain the increase of the trained capacity as at the beginning.

To use the Shock method at the beginning of preparation cycle or to use it by not high level athlete is like to use the most powerful antibiotic to treat the runny nose.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 11/18/2007 10:39 PM
  dallas
9 posts
No Ranking

thank you so much Dr. Verkhoshansy.

the last time i used shock training was about 6-8 months ago. i actually had only 68-70 cm vertical jump but i could do much better with depth jumps. i still have hard time solving this issue. at that time, i could jump from a box that is 65-70 cm height (a few cm lower than my vertical jump at that time)  and could rebound jump about 50-60 cm.

but this time my vert was 83 cm at the beginning so i used 80 cm box, i could rebound only about 40 cm !!!! after i finished training it was still not close to what i have done in the past. As you said, i think my plyometric abilities suffer right now.  my shin causes a problem every time i do serial jumps(1 leg hops, 1 leg hopping knees straight).  my muscles,bones or tendons lower than my knee level (especially shins) cant handle those. at that time back, i could do these even on hard surfaces. i could do 5 reps without rest at that time but this time not even close.

i have also used 25-35% barbell jump squat a lot. but i was doing it fast without absorbing any shock affect. i was doing it like a plyometric exercise. now i have seen some people absorbing the shock after landing before starting another repetition. do you also advise this way?? also we dont have access to kettleballs in the country i live so should i replace them with dumbells??

i am starting to train in the way you advise right now.

thank you so much.

Jason Dwight

New Post 11/18/2007 10:49 PM
  dallas
9 posts
No Ranking

i am also reading your every single post in the site to learn all the details about shock training. 

i cannot believe how wrong i used them !!! i have never rested between a rep. the most was 10-15 second the last time. this is all because of people learning(personal trainers etc..) this method wrong. i am becoming angry while thinking the training phases i have spent with that way :(

sincerely

Jason Dwight

New Post 11/19/2007 8:22 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Jason Dwight,

don’t worry so match about rest duration between Depth jumps executions. Its could be also 15 – 30  sec if you are able to execute well each subsequent Depth jumps.

I am sure that you need some practice in jump exercises before you start to use the Shock Method.

I suggest you to start from the following training program. After 3 weeks of this training you could let me know how you fill. I will suggest you how you should change the exercises to gradually increase the intensity of training stimulus in the following training stage.

Overload training session (Monday and Thursday):

1.       Warm up. Continuous aerobic running with gradual speed increasing (15 - 20 min), general articulation gymnastic: dynamic exercises with gradual increase of movements amplitude (10 min), the upper body rotations with the 10 - 15 kg dumbbell on a shoulders (behind the neck).

2.       Exercises with bar (in each following weeks the 10 RM method of strength exercises execution should be gradually substituted by 8 and 5 RM method):

-          3 sets of 10 – 5 RM barbell Squats;

-          2-3 sets of Standing Calf Raise (maximal amplitude), 10 - 5 RM method;

-          2-3 sets of maximal amplitude Sitting Calf Raises (“Soleum”), 10 - 5 RM method.

3.       Serial overloaded jumps: 2-3- sets of 15 -20 consecutive Half Squat jumps with barbell (15 - 25 kg). This  jumps should not be fast; it’s important to execute it trying to maintain constantly the rate of jumps, the knee angle in the landing phase and the optimal jump height. You should relax the legs during the flying phase and, in this way, try to use less energy to execute each set.

4.       Upper body and abdominal exercises that you normally use.

Track&Field training session (Tuesday and Friday ):

1.       Warm up (same as in Overload training session):

2.       Specific Track&Field running exercises:

Run with lifting of the thigh, run with a heel kickback, long accelerations (executed loosely), 3-4 repetition of 20 – 30 m distance (loosely).

3.       Jumping exercises (the exercises should be executed loosely with the rest intervals that assure the complete recovery):

-          bounces from leg to leg on the soft surface (3-4 series of 30 -60 m);

-          double legs “squat” bounces (4 series of 5-10 bounces);

-          double “zigzag” leg jumps over low (30 -50 cm) and long bench advancing to jumping over the length of the bench ( 8-12 take-offs for one set) - 2-3 sets;

-          double legs jumps over 5 -10 low (1mt) hurdles – 2-3- sets.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 11/20/2007 3:42 PM
  dallas
9 posts
No Ranking

thank you so much Prof. Verkhoshansky.

i am starting to use these methods right now.

sincerely

Jason Dwight

New Post 11/22/2007 9:58 PM
  Mac
4 posts
No Ranking

Doc...I've been a fan for longer than I've been married ( 35-years ) and was a prolific readed of the Yessis Review ( a English translation of Russian sport articles ) since 1972.   I count Fred Hatfields (son the 2nd) as a good friend and Dr. Squat is a strength legend in the U.S.

Are there special considerations with your SHOCK Method men versus woman ?   With the woman having wider pelvis ?  I've tried to stay away from single leg hops because of this with younger less mature female athletes.?

THANKS for your TIME and EFFORT !!!

Bob "coach mac" MacKay 

New Post 11/23/2007 11:07 AM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

Hi dear Professor.

I would ask you on the preparation work before Shock Method.

You wrote:

Prepare better your legs through bounces and serial jumps (see my answer to your previous question) and increase your explosive strength trough overload jumps. You should start from 2-3 series of 10–15 consecutive half squat jumps with barbell (20 – 25 kg). After, these jumps should be substituted by 2-3 series of 6– 8 consecutive jumps with Russian Kettlebell (16 kg at the beginning and after 32 kg). After, the Russian Kettlebell jumps should be substituted by another type of barbell jumps with 40-60% overload: 4-6 consecutive single half squat jumps executed with maximal effort and with muscle relaxation between each jumps (you should put the barbell on high supports, shake the relaxed legs and immediately put the barbell on the shoulders again to execute the sequent jump). Only after this, you could start to use Depth Jump.

Have the same validity, as preparatory work, gradually increasing over time the height of the leap?

For example a progression of this type:

4x8  from 25 cm height.
4x10 25 cm.
4x8 35 cm.
4x10 35 cm.
4x8 45 cm.
4x10 45 cm.

Could this be a better work?
Have any validity to jump from under the share best you described 75 cm height?

New Post 11/23/2007 11:24 AM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

[QUOTE]Dimitry wrote

Hi dear Professor.

I would ask you on the preparation work before Shock Method.

Demetrio Frattarelli, Italy.

New Post 11/30/2007 5:01 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Demetrio Frattarelli,

if I understood well, you ask me, when athlete start to use Shock Method what kind of training strategy is better:

-         to start from ample jumps (bounces) and after to use Depth jump with 0.75 m drop height,

-         or to start directly from Depth Jumps with 25 cm drop height  and gradually increase this drop height until 0.7 5 m?

I think that in any case, you should start from jumps (bounces) and after start to use Depth Jump with a gradual increasing of Drop height from 0.45 m (not 0.25 m) till 0.75 m.

There are two main reasons because I suggested this strategy:

1) To enforce the legs articulations and ligaments you need to perform a great number of jumping pushes (not much heavy shocks) and for this aim I suggest to use multiple bounces.

2) The athlete must start to use depth jumps with a correct technique, and for this reason the drop height should not be too low. I suggest to start from 0.45 m.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  making things clear about shock training