Login Monday, January 18, 2021
  Search  
Sport Strength Training Methodology   Minimize

New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  strange phenomenon of one limb training
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 11/11/2007 10:58 PM
  thelumberjack
22 posts
9th Level Poster

strange phenomenon of one limb training  
Modified By 1511146@aruba.it  on 11/14/2007 9:56:12 PM)

Dear all,

I write of a strange phenomenon that I have found.

I first noticed that I was far stronger on the Nautilus duo squat and the Nautilus lateral raise one handed rather than two, lets say I was doing so and so weight one handed and then doubled that weight I could not do what I was doing for reps, and had to drop the weight considerably to do the same reps, I at first put it down to the cams.

Then about six months ago was doing triceps pressdown on a preacher bench one handed but was in a rush to go out, I was doing 20/15/10, so I decided to do them two handed, so I doubled the weight, I could not do one rep ??? I first checked the weighs, they were spot on, I was then dumbfounded and still am.

Anyone have a clue ???

The only thing I can think of, is I have isolated the one limb and therefore concentrated my strength gains to the actual muscles doing the work, as they are doing the work more then leverage they themselves have grown stronger, as if I was doing them two handed I would be using my body or should I say the middle of my body chest, lats and shoulders as a sort of leverage system ???

Or maybe trained my one arm with far more Neurological efficiency ???

Or there is far less strain on the CNS on doing a lighter weight one limbed twice rather than doing the larger weight with two hands.

But still can not believe what has happened.

And you will be amassed like me that I can not do double the weight I can do one handed, two handed, actually I have to drop the pin quite a bit to do it two handed.

I now ay this moment in time do everything one limb at a time except shoulder press and wrist curls, ok it take longer, and double as hard, but that is of no concern.

If anybody had asked be before I did this I would have would them you can always lift more with two hands than one, but not anymore,

Paul Evans

USA

New Post 11/12/2007 8:27 AM
  Dan
58 posts
6th Level Poster

Re: strange phenomenon of one limb training  

The phenomena is called *bilateral deficit*. Its a very normal phenomena. Its widely seen in a lot of sportman, and in untrained persons. In fact the most persons I seen had a bilateral deficit.

The oposite is called *bilateral facilitation*, and is present in elte atlethes which went through long time bilateral activation patterns. For example , weightlifters. They have a simultanous bilateral acitvation pattern in most of their lifts, thing which in time leads to a bilateral facilitation. It is belived that those long time paterns affect the desecending drive of the motoneuron polls, leading ti faciliatation in time.

New Post 11/14/2007 9:02 PM
  thelumberjack
22 posts
9th Level Poster

Modified By 1511146@aruba.it  on 11/14/2007 9:56:42 PM)
 Dan wrote

The phenomena is called *bilateral deficit*. Its a very normal phenomena. Its widely seen in a lot of sportman, and in untrained persons. In fact the most persons I seen had a bilateral deficit.

The oposite is called *bilateral facilitation*, and is present in elte atlethes which went through long time bilateral activation patterns. For example , weightlifters. They have a simultanous bilateral acitvation pattern in most of their lifts, thing which in time leads to a bilateral facilitation. It is belived that those long time paterns affect the desecending drive of the motoneuron polls, leading ti faciliatation in time.

Just a quick thx to Dan for now more tomorrow.

Paul Evans

USA

New Post 11/16/2007 11:47 PM
  thelumberjack
22 posts
9th Level Poster

I have found I am about 30% or more stronger than doing it two handed.

Ok it would not work on all exersices, but let’s take the pressdown and tell you what happened to me, if you reached 100 pounds for 12 reps two handed, if you did them one handed you would in the end reach 65, 70 on each arm.

And that is very surprising, as I would have thought the opposite, until Dan told me of bilateral deficit.

Only drawback is you have to go though the pain and discomfort twice, but that’s a small price with the gains to be made. I just found this,

http://jap.physiology.org/...tract/100/2/493

Paul Evans

USA

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  strange phenomenon of one limb training