Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 11/16/2007 8:34 PM
  PCexpress
6 posts
No Ranking

Training for the sport of Disc golf 

Dr. Verkhoshansky

First let me preface this by saying that I am a great admirer of your work.  I am asking this question for my friend who is an up-and-coming athlete on the disc golf circuit.  He is one of those guys who can master a sport almost immediately (beats me in everything from racquetball to pole vaulting to video games).  He has pole vaulted over 5.20m, thrown the javelin 60m, can squat roughly 180kg, etc.  I realize this is very trivial information, but I am just trying to clarify that he is highly trained.

My question revolves around how you should train for a sport such as disc golf.  In supertraining, it is stated that absolute strength is negatively correlated to the ability to throw a light implement (discs are typically ~175g).  So when he asked me how he should train for the sport of disc golf, I was certain that training for hypertrophy would be very foolish.  Since regulation of force (distance control) and accuracy are so important in this sport, should he focus on technique work the majority of his time?  Would a periodized strength training and ballistic program be a poor use of time and energy?

I realize that it is hard to make recommendations on training for sports that you are unfamiliar with, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Since oxidative capacity, lactic acid buffering, and maximum strength are not limiting factors in performance, I assume that the organization of training would be similar to the sport of golf, but I'm sorry to say I am not familiar with the optimal training for an elite golfer.

-Ed Miller

New Post 11/30/2007 4:34 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Re: Training for the sport of Disc golf 

Dear Ed Miller,

I agree with you, the physical preparation in Disc golf should be determined by the aim to improve the motor control capacity.

This is the “motor learning” factor, not limited by maximal strength or other physical condition capacity (oxidative capacity, lactic acid buffering).

The necessary precondition is to have a good general physical condition (preparedness) that allow you to get a good control of competition motor action (like in golf), this general physical preparation is different from that used for Olympic sport disciplines finalized to increase the power output.

It’s difficult for me to suggest how should be organised this physical preparation, because I am not familiar with the optimal training for an elite golfer.

Nevertheless I hope this generic suggestions can be useful for you.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Training for the sport of Disc golf