Login Friday, January 15, 2021
  Search  
Sport Strength Training Methodology   Minimize

New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Means of development of maximal strength
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 4/23/2008 8:44 PM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

Means of development of maximal strength 
Modified By Prof. Verkhoshansky  on 5/2/2008 12:17:06 AM)

Hi Dear Professor.

I wish ask you about training means outlined in your article: "Maximal strength training in speed-strength sports"

You wrote:

Two variants of the repeat-serial method, distinguished according to their primary emphasis on the training effect, are recommended. They include a moderate and considerable increase in muscle mass.

Variant 1

For development of maximal strength and a moderate increase in muscle mass, the resistance used is 70-90% of maximal.

Example:

The weight is 85-95% of maximum and there are 5-6 reps in one set. There are 2-3 sets in one series with a rest of 4-6 minutes in between each set .There are 2-3 series with a rest of 6-8 minutes in between.

Variant 2

This variant of the repeat-serial method produces a considerable increase in muscle mass.

Example:

With the weight between 84-95% of maximum, do 3-8 sets of 3-8 reps with the rest pauses between sets, 3-5 minutes. If the last repetition in the set cannot be executed because of fatigue, a partner assists in overcoming the

resistance.

1) Well, the example of variant 2 could include the example of variant 1 and thus generate confusion, what is the difference between these two means?

2) In the examples of variant 1 there are pyramid as these:

-A series with 3 sets is executed as follows:

a. with a weight of 80% of maximum - 10 reps;

b. with a weight of 90% of maximum - 5 reps; and

c. with a weight of 93-95% of maximum - 2 reps.

-Four sets with a rest of 5-6 minutes between sets:

a. in the first set the weight is 70% of maximum for 12 repetitions.

b. in the second set the weight is 80% of maximum for 10 reps.

c. in the third set the weight is 85% of maximum for 7 reps.

d. in the fourth set the weight is 90% of maximum for 5 reps.

There are two series done with a rest of 8-10 minutes in between.

In these means could also be including inverse pyramid? For example

1° set 2 reps.

2°set 5 reps.

3°set 10 reps.

Etc…

Could the inverse pyramid have the same effect metabolic and physiological?

3) A work like this: sets of 3-8 reps with complete rest between sets, more than 4-5 minutes.

Could it be a work of hypertrophy as example of variant 2 ?

Demetrio Frattarelli, Italy.

New Post 5/2/2008 1:21 AM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Re: Means of development of maximal strength 

Dear Demetrio Frattarelli,
Could you please indicate me where you found this article?
In any case it’s evident that there is a contradiction or inaccuracy in translation.
I am very curios to see this article and find out who published it. Could you send it to me giving me also the information of the source?
After I read this article I could give you an answer.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 5/2/2008 11:11 AM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

Prof. Verkhoshansky wrote

Could you please indicate me where you found this article?
In any case it’s evident that there is a contradiction or inaccuracy in translation.
I am very curios to see this article and find out who published it. Could you send it to me giving me also the information of the source?
After I read this article I could give you an answer.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

Certainly Professor.
I found this article through the link on your site:" The Canadian Athletics Coaching Centre".
The route links is: The Canadian Athletics....; Sport Scienze Article; Theory & Methodology; Strength;
So in the list of articles, there is your article translated by Dr. Michael Yessis.

New Post 5/3/2008 2:20 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

thank you to have discovered this digitations error in the book.

The overload weight in the case of Variant 2 must not be 84 -95%, but 85 – 90%.

Now, the difference between the Variant 1 and Variant 2 is quite obvious:

Overload weight

Number of reps in set

Duration of the rest interval between sets

Number of sets in series

Number of series

Duration of the rest interval between series

Variant 1

85 - 95%

5-6

4 - 6 min

2 – 3

2 - 3

6 – 8 min

Variant 2

85 - 90%

3-8

Refusal method

3 - 5 min

3 - 8

-

-

The main characteristics of the training methods finalised to increase the maximal strength without the muscle mass  increasing are:

1.       high overload weight: that must be gradually increased during the training session;

2.       the muscle could be relaxed between each repetition;

3.       low number of sets;

4.       long rest interval between sets.

The main characteristic of the training methods finalised to increase the maximal strength with the muscle mass increasing are (see page 22 of Manual):

1.       moderate overload weight;

2.       the muscles must not be relaxed between each repetition;

3.       high number of sets (must be used 2-3 local exercises for the same muscle groups);

4.       short interval between sets.

One of these methods could be named as “inverse pyramid” (see page 23 of Manual for coaches):

“The same number of repetition is executed in each sets but with less resistance in each set. For example:

1° set - 10 repetitions with 65% overload weight,

2° set – 10 repetitions with 60% overload weight

3° set - 10 repetitions with 55% overload weight

4° set - 10 repetitions with 50% overload weight.

The rest pause between sets is 1 -2 min.

This method is useful for targeting the small muscle groups which fatigue quickly or when the rest pauses between sets are reduced.”

So, the metabolic effect of this exercise is related with the glicolitic mechanism activation.

For the muscle mass increasing, also the “classic” bodybuilding pyramid could be used.

In the first part of this pyramid the overload weight is increased, in each subsequent set, but the number of repetitions are decreased. In the second part of this pyramid, the overload weight is decreased but the number of repetitions are increased.

This method is finalised not to the glicolitic mechanism activation but to the “exhaustion” of the local muscle group.

You can find more detailed description of this method in the Italian publications of G.Cometti.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 5/3/2008 4:35 PM
  lugazineu.ricardo
19 posts
10th Level Poster

Excellent post!
And like always very practical!

When (year) in Russia the track and field coaches began to used training methods to increase the maximal strength with the muscle mass increasing? When you were an athlete what athletes and coaches thought about the relationship between muscle mass, strength and performance?

Thak You!

Riccardo Barros - Brazil

New Post 5/26/2008 6:33 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Dear Riccardo Barros,

1. When (year) in Russia the track and field coaches began to used training methods to increase the maximal strength with the muscle mass increasing?

It’s difficult to answer giving you a precise year or period, but in the past none thought that it was possible to increase strength without the muscle mass increasing.

2. When you were an athlete what athletes and coaches thought about the relationship between muscle mass, strength and performance?
When I was an athlete, the traditional ideas about the relationships between muscle mass, strength and performance was following:

1)      strength depend on muscle mass, the overload exercises help to increase strength because these exercises assure a muscle mass increasing;

2)      if you increase muscle mass you increase the body weight, if you increase your body weight you decrease the speed of your body displacements;

3)      if you need to increase the running speed, you must not use overload exercises: “runner need the muscles of Deer, not of Bull”.

So, at that time the dominant idea was that the overload exercises could be used only if you want to be heavy as a Bull.  Only later it has been introduced the idea that the issue of the specific speed and power improvement could be solved not finding out the best training mean (exercise), but using several training means and methods, joined in a system.

Yuri Verkhoshansky

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Means of development of maximal strength