Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 6/21/2008 9:25 PM
  harahara10
2 posts
No Ranking

Sprints for Sports 

Dr. Verkhoshansky,

I have questions regarding the use of sprints for the development of explosiveness and acceleration in sports. 1) Would you use sprints of 60-100m to develop the acceleration ability in sports that never involve sprints longer than 30m such as volleyball, basketball, baseball, and tennis? 2) Does the use of sprints of 60-100m offer any further benefits to the development of explosiveness, especially increases in vertical jump height when olympic lifts (clean, snatch, & jerk) and depth jumps are already performed in training? If you know of any research studies that have looked at these two topics in English or Japanese, please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Satoshi Mizuguchi, Japan

New Post 7/10/2008 4:53 PM
  Prof. Verkhoshansky
245 posts
www.verkhoshansky.com
1st Level Poster

Re: Sprints for Sports 

Dear Satoshi Mizuguchi,

For young and low level athletes, the 100m running could be a good training means also to increase the acceleration ability and explosiveness. For high level athletes it’s need to use more specific exercises.

1) Would you use sprints of 60-100m to develop the acceleration ability in sports that never involve sprints longer than 30m such as volleyball, basketball, baseball, and tennis?

The “acceleration ability”, in generally, is the capacity to increase the speed of running immediately after the start. In a classical case, as the 100m running, it express on the first 30 m distance. When the specific speed running distance is shorter, the athlete must be able to increase his speed earlier. So, in each his first steps he must be able to overcame the inertial force (body inertial force) as rapidly as possible.  The training means that are able to emphasise this capacity are the combination of jumps and bounces, resistance exercises and short sprint running exercises.

2) Does the use of sprints of 60-100m offer any further benefits to the development of explosiveness, especially increases in vertical jump height when olympic lifts (clean, snatch, & jerk) and depth jumps are already performed in training?

If the training aim is the increasing of vertical jump height, the short sprint exercises could be used only as addictive training means. But usually the athletes that need the vertical jump height increasing are basketball, volleyball or soccer players. So, short sprint exercises, in any case, are the important part of their specific training programs.

3) If you know of any research studies that have looked at these two topics in English or Japanese, please let me know.

This issue was very well studied in the 60th in USSR, but I think that it’s possible to read about it only in my books translated in Italian and Spanish languages.

In English, I remember the old articles about the correlations between the slides length and slides frequency ( T.Hoshikawa et al, 1973 and G.Zara, 1971) and the famous article about the not correlation  between the maximal speed and the acceleration capacity (F.Henry, I.Trafton, 1951).

Yuri Verkhoshansky

New Post 7/17/2008 2:53 AM
  harahara10
2 posts
No Ranking

Re: Sprints for Sports 

Dr. Verkhoshansky,

Thank you so much for your reply to my questions. I think that this is a great website.

Satoshi Mizuguchi, Japan

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  Sprints for Sports