Login Monday, January 18, 2021
  Search  
Sport Strength Training Methodology   Minimize

New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  The creation of a new training methodology.
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 7/1/2008 6:37 AM
  HumbleLearner
7 posts
No Ranking

The creation of a new training methodology. 

Professor Yuri Verkoshansky has greatly influenced Louie Simmons to formulate a training system which is now call the "westside barbell training system."

No other man in history has ever been a better contender of Mr. Simmons's training system. His private training facility has produced unbelievably strong athletes that are absolutely extraordinary.

I have a goal in life. The goal to learn virtually everthing that is to know about athletic improvement. I desire to learn how to achieve athletic perfection. It may not happen in my life but that won't stop me from trying. Can anybody in this forum show me some of Yuri's studies? The odds of me being able to create a brand new training methodology is very slim, but it is still possible.

These are the things that I have to consider in formulating my methodology:

1. Training volume and frequency.

2. Execution of exercises and their variations.

3. The order of exercises.

4. Training intensity.

5. The pace of the sets.

New Post 7/1/2008 10:35 AM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

Re: The creation of a new training methodology. 
The westside system of Simmons was deeply influenced by Russian trainers, but it is still a complete-parallel system and not a Conjugate-Sequence System, because westside develops maximal strength, explosive strength and hypertrophy for 33% each and in the same period and not in Conjugate-Sequence or Block System.

New Post 7/1/2008 10:36 AM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

[QUOTE]Dimitry wrote:
The westside system of Simmons was deeply influenced by Russian trainers.................

Demetrio Frattarelli, Italy.

New Post 7/2/2008 8:23 AM
  HumbleLearner
7 posts
No Ranking

Hi Dimitry. Can you please explain to me the difference between the real conjugate system and the one Louie Simmons has implied to his methods? Thank you.

New Post 7/2/2008 9:44 PM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

The westside system is called "conjugate", but this conjugation refers only to the union of different means in the same period:

RE: Repetition Effort: sets of 6-15 reps (Hypertrophy).

ME: Max Effort: sets of 1-3 reps (maximal strength).

DE: Dynamic Effort: 8-12 explosive sets of 1-3 reps with 40-70% RM (Explosive strength).

In particular Simmons was influenced by Vladimir Zatsiorsky. V.Z. codified the mode of these three means of training (RE, ME and DE) and Simmons organized them to develop in the same way  and in the same period.
Simmons paid attention to short period, only 3 microcicles, and not to program a long period. In these three microcicles, he changes exercises to avoid adaptation and he only does not mix means "rate dominant" as DE  with the means "duration dominant" as ME.

The principles of Conjugate-Sequence System or Blocks System are different.
You can see them in free articles of  Professor in this site or in his books.
There is to say that he has not devised Blocks System for powerlifting or bodybuilding, so we can do only attempts.
I did one in this forum, in the thread "Block System for powerlifting", which was appreciated by the Professor.

New Post 7/3/2008 6:51 AM
  HumbleLearner
7 posts
No Ranking

This is the only website that has such a deep scientific approach in the world of strength training. Mr. Frattarelli, are you some sort of a professor/scientist?

Brian Terrenio, United States of America.

New Post 7/3/2008 10:01 PM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

HumbleLearner wrote

This is the only website that has such a deep scientific approach in the world of strength training. Mr. Frattarelli, are you some sort of a professor/scientist?

Brian Terrenio, United States of America.

I am a trainer of  bodybuilding, powerlifting, american football and track & field, but a coach on the field, not exactly a scientist.
Referring to the issue: "complete-parallel system, conjugate-sequence system and westside", I advice you to read also this thread:

New Post 7/3/2008 10:07 PM
  bball2020
13 posts
10th Level Poster

The Westside Barbell system has been captured quite well in a new book by Mr Simmons himself check his site westside-barbell.com for more information on this.

Joe Rizzo PA, USA

New Post 7/4/2008 3:31 AM
  HumbleLearner
7 posts
No Ranking

Thank you all...

Anyway, Mr. Frattarelli, can you suggest me a well periodized training regimen to raise my strength?

Brian Terrenio

Oregon, USA

New Post 7/4/2008 10:23 PM
  Dimitry
38 posts
8th Level Poster

HumbleLearner wrote

Thank you all...

Anyway, Mr. Frattarelli, can you suggest me a well periodized training regimen to raise my strength?

Brian Terrenio

Oregon, USA

The strength programming depends on your sport, what sport do you play?

There are many books for sale, I suggest you buy those on this site:

In particular: "Special Strength Training: A Pratical Manual for Coaches" of the Professor.
The new edition should be on sale shortly.

New Post 7/6/2008 9:00 AM
  HumbleLearner
7 posts
No Ranking

I just wanna be able to raise my strength in the front squat. Also, I may do some plyometrics to increase my explosive quadricep strength for Mixed Martial Arts. Do you think you can set up a periodized program for these goals? Thank you.

Brian Terrenio, USA

New Post 7/9/2008 3:43 PM
  twostout4u
14 posts
www.lexenxtreme.com/
10th Level Poster

Hello,

Any questions you may have on the westside system, I can try and help you with, I trained under Louie for many years, and train many athletes using our system. You can definatley increase your power, and strength using our system.

Matt Wenning

M.S. sports biomechanics

New Post 7/10/2008 4:59 AM
  bball2020
13 posts
10th Level Poster

Matt,

On your website you talk about the work you did with NFL combine prospects, I am wondering how you modify the Westside template to suit the needs of football athletes. For instance Louie is a huge proponent of the box jump, but it seems like these will not carry over that well to a true vertical or the vertical test. Also how often did you run your guy who went from a 5.1 to a 4.7.

Joe Rizzo PA, USA

Previous Previous

Next Next
  New Forum  Old forum threa...  General  The creation of a new training methodology.