Login Saturday, December 15, 2018
  Search  
Sport Strength Training Methodology   Minimize

New Forum  Special Strengt...  Discussions on ...  thoughts on local muscular endurance and substrate timed training--Errors ( in my mind)
Previous Previous

Next Disabled
New Post 4/21/2014 2:43 AM
  bbaxter1984
1 posts
No Ranking

thoughts on local muscular endurance and substrate timed training--Errors ( in my mind) 
First of all..........Great Book!!!! in my mind the best overall book on athlete development and program organization.......in my opinion much better than supertraining, although still an effective text. So my thoughts revolve around cyclic exercise programming and training emphasis; in terms of reps and training percentage.

Book recommends that:

LME= 50-70% 1RM could effectively be lifted 20-40 times
LME=30-60% 1RM could effectively be lifted 30-50 times

There is know way someone could lift a true 70% 1RM 20 times, that would be more like a 60% 1RM at best. Same with 60% 1RM, not going to be able to lift 30 times. At best thats about a 50% or 47.5% 1RM.

Another few questions that i have revolve around the block training system model example, starting on page 178. For block A, exercise variant 4(IV) recommends doing tempo sets with a rep range of 10-15 with 80% 1RM, thats not gonna happen. Especially when the subsequent set recommends 15-20 reps with 70% 1Rm, again not gonna happen regardless of tempo. Another example is the complex variant method on page 180. Recommendation of the set are substrate specific, or time based. The duration is 5 minutes with a load of 65-75% 1RM, with a rate of 33-45 reps per minute which is about 1.3-1.8 seconds per movement. This is not possible to do for five minutes or even two minutes with that load.

Has anybody had similar thoughts? Ive asked around and nobody has answers, so i thought this would be the best place to ask. Any information would be much appreciated.

Previous Previous

Next Disabled
  New Forum  Special Strengt...  Discussions on ...  thoughts on local muscular endurance and substrate timed training--Errors ( in my mind)